On the day of 12 November each year World Pneumonia Day is observe worldwide. This provide the opportunity as an annual forum to the world. In this way we stand together and create awareness among masses how we can prevent and protect from pneumonia.
Pneumonia is still the major cause of death in children under the age of 5 years
We collectively raise awareness in general public and also demand to take prompt action to fight against pneumonia and save valuables lives of the children
Especially this is well taken care by the leading NGOs and focus children organizations especially to mention “Save The Children”. There are more than 100 worldwide organization who are active and working on it. In this way we create coalition and association with the respective countries and regional associations who are actively on how to prevent children from pneumonia.
As per history and record first global pneumonia day was observed on 09 November, 2009 from their onward this World Pneumonia Day is observe regularly every year on 12 November globally.
Data on Pneumonia
The fact sheet recently published by World Health Organization in September 2016 states Pneumonia is still the leading cause of infection which leads to the death in children each year. As per data approximately ONE Million children each year die from pneumonia globally which can be prevented easily if we follow the recommended guidelines. By WHO
If we look and compare the infant mortality rate, by pneumonia infection more deaths are reported in comparison to combine death with the disease such as malaria, measles & HIV / AIDS.
Average daily death by pneumonia in children below the age of 5 reaches to more than 2700 death daily worldwide.
Only 54% of pneumonia cases are reported and taken care by health care professional in developing countries. Now we have to critically review this year what will be the incidence in under-develop countries which include our SARRC region which is poor and having more than 25% of world population.
60% of death in children due to pneumonia are reported from very few countries such as China, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Ethiopia and Democratic Republic of Congo. With right effort and sincere devotion we can further save the innocent infant life. Pneumonia is treatable infection and also can be prevented in children.
- Pneumonia still effects yearly 160 million children worldwide under the age of 5 year.
- More than ONE million children die each year with this infection till to date.
- Pneumonia is still rated as the number one killer in children under the age of 5 year.
Despite above stated fact the death toll has been reduce from 1.6 Million (2009) to recent publish data to ONE million by WHO in the year 2016
This has been observed most of the people are still unaware of the fatalities, pneumonia is still the cause of most of the death in children below the 5 years.
By observing worldwide World Pneumonia Day, which help in creating awareness in general public, through seminar / symposium / radio and TV talk shows with child specialist on channels. In print media articles / features are publish and also special supplement on the day.
Use effective digital media to create awareness
Now a day’s very powerful media which is gaining popularity is social and digital media, use judicially to create awareness among common man. This is communication highway in our hand via Android phones and global connectivity via 3G or 4G or internet.
Pneumonia is a chest infection
Which is commonly observe in winter or in changing weather. This effects the respiratory tract or system of the body. It is mainly caused by the bacterial infection and may also by virus or fungi. It is mostly mild to moderate in nature and mostly healthy people recover from it.
Pneumonia may also lead to severe condition which can be life threatening. This condition need special attention / care and right treatment especially if it is effecting child under the age of 5 year.
Pneumonia can be prevented
Good news is now with scientific advancement and research, pneumonia incidence can be prevented mostly by taking the following precaution:
- Have regular FLU shot for all family member every year. Time for it is September onward, when the new identified strains are available normally every year.
- Develop a habit to wash your hand properly and frequently to avoid spread of germs.
- Children especially below the age of 5 years needs to have pneumococcal vaccine to prevent pneumococcal infection in the baby. Prevention is better than cure.
- People with high risk, weak body defense or above the age of 65 may also need to have pneumococcal vaccine recommended course.
- It is essential to wear proper clothing and cover yourself in changing weather. Which means to protect yourself while approaching winter or departure of cold weather.
- If travelling on bike or in open vehicle as well as present in crowded place, please wear mask to protect yourself and your love ones. This is especially observe in Indo-Pakistan where pollution is very high as well in other part of Asia which lies in our region.
Article Written by Mahmood Hussain for Baby First Pakistan