Understand nausea and vomiting and how to handle the situation.
Nausea and vomiting is a condition and not a disease. It can trigger due to various predisposing conditions or sickness.
It has widespread causes. This symptom appears due to many causes of illness or the indications, but here in this article, I will cover commonly and mostly happening reasons for nausea and vomiting.
By Mahmood Hussain, Friday 16th February 2018, write articles and blogs to be published in www.babyfirst.com.pk BABY FIRST PAKISTAN and also on Facebook/babyfirstPakistan and other social media such as LinkedIn, Twitter and so on. The writer is from Karachi, Pakistan Currently he is in Philadelphia, USA.
Especially this article is within reference to the children.
Nausea and vomiting is not a disease. It is a symptom and the condition arise due to several other condition or illness. The underlying cause needs to be treated or managed to overcome the condition of nausea and vomiting.
It is a vast subject, but I will mostly cover the common causes of nausea and vomiting. If the reader wishes to read more detail they can search through search engines and reference authenticated medical website.
Difference between nausea and vomiting.
When there is the feeling of nausea, which is a feeling of sickness with the inclination to vomit., this condition arises due to the uneasiness of stomach, which may or may not arises in shape of vomiting.
Term vomiting means the forcible emptying of the stomach content through the mouth, either it is voluntary or involuntary in action.
There is the lengthy list of underlying causes, which may trigger the condition of nausea and vomiting. Few of the causes that result in vomiting can arise from stomach and intestine such as infection, food irritation, food poisoning or may be due to an injury of the brain, head, tumors, migraine or headache symptoms and pregnancy.
It is observed, the food poisoning, infection of any origin, and motion sickness may trigger vomiting in all age group of people.
In children below the age of 10 years, parents need to give priority and special care.
The condition of vomiting has been observed in South Asia Region due to very hot and sizzling summer as well as during the monsoon, the rainy season. Mostly masses, consume or use unhealthy and unhygienic food or water for the quench of thirst during sizzling summer and hunger.
This nausea or vomiting can also arise due to following reason:
Motion or travel or seasickness.
Due to overeating, the chances of vomiting increases,
Sickness, due to brain injury, migraine, malignancy and appendicitis and so on.
Pregnancy. Nausea and vomiting are observed in the initial stages of pregnancy, mostly during the first trimester. As reported feeling of nausea during the first trimester is observed among 50-90% of overall pregnancies and vomiting is observed in 25-50%. In most of the cases, it declines and vanishes away in later part of pregnancy.
Drug-induced nausea and vomiting.
In many other disease conditions, nausea and vomiting are the triggers such as:
Disease of Gallbladder, reaction to certain smell or odor, heart attack, ulcers, in few cancer patients, brain tumor, renal insufficiency, migraine, delay emptying of stomach and more.
Recommendation to avoid Nausea and vomiting.
Various methods are recommended to prevent developing vomiting.
- Eat during the day 5-6 small meals and avoid eating three large meals during a day.
- Last meal of the day to be taken 2 hours or 2 and a half hour before going to bed during the night.
- Avoid taking rich, fatty and heavy meals because it is difficult to digest and will be the burden on the gastro-intestinal system.
- Eat food slowly and properly chew it.
- Don’t eat hot or warm food this may arise feeling nausea, better to take food which should be at room temperature.
- It is recommended to relax and rest after having each meal
- Drink water either before the meal or during the meal, avoid drinking water after a meal for at least an hour is strongly recommended.
- If feeling nausea avoids eating food or take it when less feeling of nausea in a day.
Recommendation to prevent vomiting when the nausea feeling arises:
Slowly drink water or take few sips of water at the time of the nausea feeling. In this way, we will be able to bypass or prevent vomiting.
Also, you can take the small amount of clear, sweetened liquid such as fruit juice or soda. In such condition not to drink the juice of orange or grape, because they are acidic in nature and may aggravate the condition.
Please rest in such situation either in a sitting position or in upheld position.
Avoid movement or activity because this can aggravate nausea which can lead to vomiting.
If children having the feeling of nausea and vomiting, recommended how to avoid it and not to further deteriorate the condition. Below are few guidelines:
Manage that kid should not eat and play at the same time.
While moving or traveling in the car, the child may have motion or travel sickness. Ensure to seat your child facing front windshield this will engage baby in watching fast-moving vehicles. Within the car, if the child is engaged in reading or watching or playing video games, this may also give rise to motion sickness so try to avoid it.
Vomiting and its effect on the human body:
This has been observed, mostly vomiting is not harmful, but this can be an indication of some of the other problems such as concussion which is a trauma due to brain injury, which affects the brain functions of the individual. The effects are normally temporary, but it may lead to a headache, recall, memory, coordination and concentration. This condition of concussions is usually caused by a blow to the head.
Vomiting can be due to meningitis which is due to bacterial infection of the membrane lining of the brain.
This can be due blockage of the intestine, tumor in brain and appendicitis.
Vomiting during pregnancy is observed mostly during the first trimester. Repeated or regular vomiting may lead to serious condition and such condition medically referred as hyperemesis gravidarum. In excess emesis during pregnancy, the mother may develop an imbalance between mineral and fluid. This may also threaten the life of a mother or the unborn child in the womb, any such condition of hyperemesis during pregnancy may need to be taken seriously and immediately consult the gynecologist for its management.
The vomiting commonly prevails in our South Asia Region during summer and monsoon season. The vomiting season mostly prevails from April to September every year. if proper precaution is not exercised, this appears in shape of dryness of mouth and lips beside vomiting. This condition is more common among young adults and children during the hot and rainy season. If individual or group affected, they are likely to be dehydrated and the condition may worsen if it is associated with diarrhea besides nausea. This is mostly occurred due to consumption of nonhygienic or contaminated food or liquid. The second problem with the children they are unable to communicate properly the symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting which can lead to loss of body fluid and patient is dehydrated. The answer to the problem is, its need to be managed which is easy and simple. What needed is to maintain body liquid intake by replenishing water loss via ORS dissolve in clean and safe water (now also ORS is available in ready to use the form in the liquid bottle). This needs to be detected timely and at an early stage to avoid complication and save the life.
Dehydration sign and symptoms are dryness of lip and mouth, sinking eyes, increase in pulse rate and breathing fast, reduce urine output.
Know when the medical help is needed in case of nausea and vomiting.
If the intensity/frequency continues than do consult the doctor for its management and control such as.
- In case of nausea and vomiting condition persist for few days.
- In case of pregnancy, this condition may prevail especially during first few months.
- Along with nausea and vomiting if diarrhea persists which is leading to severe water loss or dehydration and the home remedies are not working.
- In case of injury especially if it is head injury or severe infection which trigger nausea and vomiting.
- In case of the baby is below the age of six years take him/her to the doctor if vomiting last for more than six-8 hours and its frequency persist. Secondly, if vomiting persists along with diarrhea and fever for more than 8 hours. A child may have the visible sign of severe dehydration or fluid loss from the body. Secondly when the child has not urinated for more than 6 hours. Immediately take her/him to the doctor for immediate management to overcome the grey situation and preventing it from turning to the black side.
- Increase breathing and having the rapid pulse.
- In case of a severe headache, stiff neck or abdominal pain
- If there is blood in vomiting it may be bright red in color or it is like chestnut brown in color.
- If the patient is lethargic, having the sign of confusion and reflecting the sign of decreased mental alertness.
- If nausea and vomiting persist along with severe diarrhea. This condition may lead to severe dehydration and abnormal water and salt loss from the body.
How to treat the condition either in children and adult.
Drink slowly and take the regularly good amount of clear liquid. Avoid taking solid food in this condition till this has been controlled.
In case of vomiting along with diarrhea persists for more than 6-8hours than the patient to be given Oral Rehydrate Salt (ORS) and nowadays it is widely available in ready-made in liquid forms such as Pedialyte and many other brands.
Vomiting during pregnancy, she faces morning sickness, which can be overcome by taking, some salty or crackers early in the morning and they can take protein rich diet such as cheese, chicken drumstick or lean meat during the day and later part of the day.
In motion sickness and dizziness, the treatments are available as well as several home remedies do also work in it.
In the serious underlying cause of sickness such as cancer, the drug given can trigger vomiting and nausea. Either the treatment regimen needs to be changed, this needs to be assessed by concern doctor and he/she may go for the safer therapy option.
Whatever be the cause of nausea and vomiting, it is better to consult the doctor and follow the advice of the doctor.
Article written by Mahmood Hussain for Baby First Pakistan website, Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn and other popular social media