May 21, 2016. From 17th-24th May 2016 for a week “World Hypertension Day” will be observe worldwide as ask by World Hypertension League.
The theme for the year is “Know your number” this refers to Blood pressure measurement. Also we have to ask people to “know your blood Pressure”.
As per recommended guideline given by American Heart Association (AHA) we classify Blood Pressure measurement as per below chart:
The below chart of blood pressure also reflects categories defined by the American Heart Association.
|Blood Pressure Category||Systolic mm Hg (upper #)||Diastolic mm Hg (Lower #)|
|Normal||less than 120||And||less than 80|
|Prehypertension||120 – 139||OR||80-89|
|High blood pressure (Hypertension) Stage 1||140 – 159||OR||90-99|
|High blood pressure (Hypertension) Stage 2||160 or higher||OR||100 or higher|
|Hypertensive crisis (Emergency care needed)||Higher than 180||OR||Higher than 110|
Blood pressure when recorded, it is always mentioned in 2 digits such as 120/80mmhg or 140/90mmhg or 120/70mmhg.
Technically doctors / paramedics, who take the blood pressure, refer two digits, that are higher side reading refer as Systolic pressure and lower side is Diastolic pressure.
To understand high blood pressure, it is highly important for all of us.
If high blood pressure is not taken care properly, this will create health problems and also refer as “silent killer”.
For High Blood Pressure patient, this needs proper care and the blood pressure to be regularly monitored / recorded with ultimate goal to bring it down to normal recommended level
It is highly important to follow the advice of the doctor for healthy and quality life style and maintain blood pressure in the normal limit. Secondly it is needed to have healthy heart to perform its function of pumping blood to all part of the body.
It is always need of all time even for healthy people to follow below guidelines beside high blood pressure patient:
Guideline for normal and healthy people for healthy & quality of life:
- Eat healthy and balance diet.
- Exercise regularly 40 minutes a day for 5 times a week,
- Dinner to be essentially light to moderate & should be taken at least 3 hours before going to bed. That is between 08:00 to 09:00 pm. It has been commonly observed most people in Pakistan normally go to bed around 11:00 -11:30 pm.
- Have a good sleep of 7-8 hours a day. It is good if we go early to bed and wake up early in the morning. An old saying “Early to bed & early to rise make us healthy & wise”
- Breakfast to be taken regularly and on daily basis, this should be healthy and full of nutrient for balance diet.
- Once in a month have blood pressure and pulse to be monitored.
- Eat less than your hunger or desire. It is better to take few small meals in day rather than few heavy meals.
- Once a year to have complete routine check up to stay healthy, if you foresee any problem you can consult your doctor at any time and all time.
High Blood pressure patient has also to take medication regularly as per advice /guideline of the physician. Secondly he has to visit his doctor regularly on given time as proposed by him.
Recorded blood pressure figure is highly important for the doctor and all of us to know the condition of our heart and arteries.
Heart is continuously beating since we are born and even earlier in mother fetus.
The function of the heart is to pump blood to the entire body.
Blood provides nutrients, energy and oxygen to the body.
The blood is continuously pushed into artery which served as vessel / carrier to carry blood to all parts of the body by the heart.
Normal pulse rate is 72 beats per minute.
The blood is pushed through the vessel which means it also exert pressure on the arterial wall. The pushing of blood is recorded as blood pressure and depends upon the strength by which it pushes into arteries from heart that is known as ventricle.
If recorded blood pressure is 140/90mmhg or above than it is refer as prehypertension or high blood pressure / Hypertension. This means extra strain is exerted in the arteries as well as heart to perform the function.
Normal blood pressure is 120/80mmhg or below such as 110/70mmhg.
If the condition of higher blood pressure above 140/90mmhg is not taken care as per advice by the physician or consultant this may result in heart attack or stroke.
When doctors record your blood pressure if it is on higher side on the first visit, than what is needed and also your doctor will ask you to visit him / her few more times to monitor your blood pressure to ascertain are you having high blood pressure or not.
Doctor will also request you to monitor blood pressure at home and bring the recorded result
This has been observed the first time recorded high blood pressure at the moment may be due to some trigger or worry and this may go away as things settle down or boil down.
This has been observed single high reading does not mean you are high blood pressure patient. The reading if remains 140/90 mm Hg or above in the follow up visits with physician over a time period. Your physician will like to start the complete package for treating your High Blood Pressure which will comprise of the following:
- Prescribe you the antihypertensive drug and to be taken by you regularly.
- Adopt healthy life style such eat healthy and balance diet.
- Exercise regularly for at least 40 minutes a day for five days a week, best is brisk walk or swimming
- Have 7-8 hour good and sound sleep.
- Your physician will also ask you for complete routine checkup such as lab test and chest X-ray in initial stages to ascertain the condition.
- May be he will also ask you to rest for few days and relax at home.
- Also in initial stages needed to visit the physician regularly for management and follow up. Later on when condition improves and blood pressure is under control than frequency of visit will increase even to months for follow up.
Article written by Mahmood Hussain for baby First Pakistan for website and digital / social media, This written in regards to World Hypertension Day17-24 May 2016