December 25, 2016 during the last week, most of the leading print dailies and electronic media of Pakistan have published or covered in regard to Chikungunya virus outbreak in Karachi. This has and is mainly effecting in its District Malir. If anyone wishes to refer and read in more detail, can refer the following which I traced it.
- Pakistan today 18 December, 2016,
- Geo TV health December 22, 2016
- The News 22 December 2016
- Daily Dawn 18 December 2016
- ARY News 19 December 2016
- com 18 December 2016
- The Nation 20 December 2016
- Sind News on line 22 December 2016
- BeKarachi December 19, 2016
The Chikungunya virus has continued to affect the inhabitant of Karachi especially in Malir district. The cases were reported from 16 Decembers and its intensity is increasing day by day. If we look, another 100 people have been diagnosed with this disease on 24th December, 2016. Mainly affected are from Malir District of Karachi.
Chikungunia is also known to spread via female mosquito, but it is via different virus than dengue. The disease can be eliminated by destroying this specific virus which are responsible for its spread in society by spraying effectively. The causative mosquito which carries ‘Aedes aegypti’ virus. It is responsible for Chikungunya fever with pain in human being.
It is advice by the medical experts to public in general to take precautionary measures and protect themselves and family members from mosquito bite. In case if anyone suffering or suspected case of Chikungunya than the patient should ensure to drink maximum water.
Chikungunya virus is not life threatening but this need immediate attention, because of high grade fever and sever joint pain.
Understand Chikungunya fever
The Chikungunya is mosquito borne viral infection which spread by mosquito bite. This was first reported and recorded in 1952 in Tanzania in shape of outbreak during. It has peculiar symptom such as rapid onset of: High grade fever which is associated with severe joint pain (mainly in arm and leg). Other symptoms are also associated such as:
- Muscular Pain
- Signs of fatigue
- Red spot or patches on the skin appears.
- Vision Impairment or redness of eye.
In most of the cases Chikungunya it associated with joint pain which is very cumbersome and devastating. This sever joint pain may last for few days or even few weeks very occasionally years.
Mostly sufferer recover fully with passage of time. But in few cases the pain in the joint remain for few months too. In very rare cases the eyes are affected. This has been observe, very rarely complication of heart / neurological and gastrointestinal disorders.
Patients do recover and becomes healthy in few weeks or months. In few cases the symptoms of Chikungunya are of mild in nature and it goes un-notice too also. If victim is of old age this may very rarely lead to death.
Dunya news television channel of Pakistan on 19 December 2016 reported outbreak of Chikungunya. They term it as mysterious disease, which has overall affected 30,000 patient reported in Karachi during last one month. Dr. Sikandar Mandhoro Minister of Health for Sindh province visited most affected hospital of Saudabad and he declares emergency in district of Malir.
As per report of today i.e. 25th December, 2016 appear in Observer, in which it is stated Chikunguya is continuously affecting the population of Karachi especially in district of Malir. Within 24 hour another 100 people were diagnosed they are suffering from it.
Recommended Treatment and its management
Mostly it is conservative treatment no prescribe medicine. Till to date no vaccine for Chikungunya is available to prevent from it. Following are advice by physicians or hospital.
- Advice for complete bed rest
- Increase water or liquid intake to prevent dehydration due to high grade fever
- Manage and treat the symptoms
- Take medicine as advice by doctor to manage fever and pain mainly it is pain killer such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.
- Avoid taking aspirin and any anti-inflammatory drug such as commonly known as NSAIDS until or unless dengue is root out through diagnostic lab test. Otherwise it will or may lead to excessive bleeding.
- If you ae suffering from any other disease or illness and taking drugs for it please inform your doctor or medical care giver. He or she can adjust your medicine to treat Chikugunya presently.
- It advice to prevent patient from mosquito bite especially in first week of illness.
- During first week of Chikungunya illness its virus can be found in patient blood and it passes from infected patient to mosquito via mosquito bite during this time period. So it can further increase the chances of spreading of Chikungunya among the people who are in this vicinity especially.
Article written by Mahmood Hussain for Baby First website