Children growth & development from 5-11year.
In the below article, child age cycle from 5-11 years will be covered and it is split into two stages.
- Stage one is from 5-7 years and this will cover the aspect of physical and social behavior.
- The second stage of child development/growth in age from 7 years till they reach age of 11
The key message for healthy growth and development of the child, restrict exposure of internet, video game, mobile and laptop/computer. Do not allow more than 2 hours exposure per day
By Mahmood Hussain 13th October 2017, the article and blog are written for www.babyfirst.com.pk BABY FIRST PAKISTAN and on Facebook.babyfirstPakistan and other social media such as Linkedin, Twitter and so on. Writer Mahmood Hussain currently at Philadelphia USA.
Early childhood will cover 5-7 years. What we expect to look and focus on two activities that are child physical development and social activities in this age group.
In terms of physical developments such as.
Firstly, we look at the motor skills. This skill can be evaluated by:
- The child becomes more skill full at managing their fingers this is referred as fine motor skill.
- The child will also be able to learn few basic skills such as able to use knife, spoon, fork and hold a glass to drink water or any liquid.
- It’s time to baby to enter in primary school.
- Fully able to brush the teeth.
- At this age of 5-7 years, they can dress, able to zips and tie their laces.
- With passing days their ability to coordinate to perform synchronize skill will improve.
- They will be able to read and understood the message and have the ability to follow instruction.
- During this phase of the life cycle child will lose their milk teeth and now permanent teeth will start appearing.
- The child will be potty trained by this age or slightly earlier.
- We can also observe the child is left or right handed.
The other ability to monitor the child of 5-7 years is social development skill.
At this age group, the child will enjoy playing games and learn mostly to share. During non-sharing attitudes, they can be creative. In such situation, they tend to mix reality with fantasy.
Within this age group 5-7 years, they make their best friends and create enemy or rivalry with one or two of their colleagues. This attitude interchange also. In this stage of life, child may be egocentric/self-centered and may also reflect sensitivity to other colleagues
Now they are quite capable to adjudge what is right and wrong for them.
The child develops skills such as language, communication and talking abilities are at a different pace in each individual.
NHS did research in the year 2002, with collaboration with the community service of Cambridge. They found out, at the age of 5-7 years, child learn 3,000 to 5,000 unfamiliar words each year,
Below we will try to cover child development stage from 7 to11 years.
- Their cognitive functions are developed towards greater extent.
- They are quite capable to communicate via language.
- Children will read materials to acquire information and child will increase their fluency to communicate.
- During this stage, reading is associated with challenging work rather than a pleasure.
- They learn to speak long and complex sentences
- They can draw a conclusion.
- Able to listen to others point of view and display or illustrate they agree to another point of view or disagree.
- They are capable to express their views and quite capable of comparing the activities. They have the discussion and will convince other by the reasoning and explanation.
- They can start communication even with a stranger or who are new to them.
During 7-11 age of children and their physical development pattern:
This age group from 7-11 years is term as middle childhood, it has been further subdivided by experts as early middle age from 7-9 years and 10 -11 years this is defined as late middle age period. The same has been observed in early childhood they further classify the children and refer as infant, toddler and preschoolers. In case of older children, their growth and development pattern is slower as compare to early childhood from 1-5 years
Children who do more reading, their vocabulary will increase. As a parent, we need to encourage our children to read more books of their level and interest.
They will be playing with books, copy, pencil and inscribe or drawing vague lines or shape, it may start at much earlier age. In this age of 7 and above the proficient writing is essential and important part of increasing literacy and further develop skills of reading. With the writing skills and their ability to form the connection between the reading and writing skills is enhance. They will be able to impart their learned reading and drawing skills to recognize and pronounce words such as cat, dog, bird and their families.
In the latter part of this phase, the child will show mark improvement in their manual skills, this will also aid them to improve their handwriting and start to join the words.
Childhood 8-11 years
Child after attaining the age of 8 years till the age of 11 years their ability of motor skills will further improve. If you see 6 years old child he or she show the ability to color the picture in a very basic way and if you see child above the age of 8 years, he or she will follow the pattern and will also remain within defining boundaries and lines.
When the child attains age 8 and up to 11 years, they will show their body strength and few of the child will proof their skills by climbing the tree and jump from trees. They demonstrate the skill by coordinating with their team members and demonstrate the skill of teamwork. The child also performs lonely in the individual sports. They easily learn to play in the play area on see-saw, swings, climbing, hopping and running,
Physical growth for 8-11 years.
In the latter part of 8-11years of age, some children may attain puberty. This is observed in the girls of South Asian region. In this period, overall growth pattern is slow as compared to the toddler and infants. In few of the cases, it is observed the growth pattern are in shape of burst or increase, that means above normal growth pattern.
It is also important to go for eye screening or eyesight testing while child having routine development checkup. Eye examination by the specialist will be a routine test because, at this age of 7-11 years, children are more engaged in reading and writing such as homework. If eyesight is weak than a child should wear spectacles. Doctors or eye specialist must examine both eyes, it has been observed in few cases where one eye have less vision and another eye which is normal eyesight will cover it up. To manage this weakness the child needs to wear spectacles for normal viewing and protect the future eye from the problem.
The same may also apply for the regular dental check-up by the dentist
Article is written by Mahmood Hussain for Baby First Pakistan website, facebook, twitter, LinkedIn and other popular social media